Working with national and local law firms, city attorneys, and attorneys general, Eric and the Everytown Law team represent survivors, local governments, and others involved in gun violence prevention litigation, including cases against the gun industry, challenges to gun laws under the First and Second Amendments, and state firearms preemption law disputes. Eric’s prior litigation experience includes handling scores of criminal cases as a federal prosecutor (including gun crimes, stock fraud, and international drug trafficking) and litigating complex civil, criminal, and constitutional matters for over a decade as a litigation partner at the Kramer Levin law firm in New York.
Eric has published on a range of topics from the Second Amendment to criminal justice reform, including co-authoring a textbook, law review articles and op/eds. He served as national Chair of the U.S. Sentencing Commission’s Practitioners Advisory Group, on the Federal Bar Council’s Public Service Committee, on the board of The Fund for Modern Courts, and as a member of the Citizens Crime Commission’s Lawyers Council. Eric is a recipient of the Department of Justice Director’s Award, the New York Law Journal’s Lawyers Who Lead by Example Award, and Her Justice’s Commitment to Justice Award. He taught as an adjunct professor at Fordham Law School and as a visiting lecturer at NYU Law School. He is an honors graduate of Harvard Law School and Amherst College and served as a law clerk to United States District Judge David Kenyon in Los Angeles.
- New York
- Amherst College, B.A.
- Harvard Law School, J.D., honors
- New York
- United States District Courts, Eastern and Southern Districts of New York
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second, Third, Seventh, and Eleventh Circuits and for the District of Columbia
- United States Supreme Court
- Eric Tirschwell and Mark Frassetto, What the 2020 Supreme Court Term Means for US Gun Laws, Commentary, Law.com (July 20, 2020).
- Eric Tirschwell and Mary B. McCord, Bump Stocks Threaten Public Safety and National Security, Opinon, Lawfare (February 22, 2019).
- Eric Tirschwell, If we want gun safety in America, Brett Kavanaugh will not help us, Opinion, The Hill (August 23, 2018).
- Eric Tirschwell and Mark Frassetto, 10 years after Heller: Fiery gun rights rhetoric, but courts back Second Amendment limits, Opinion, USA Today (June 25, 2018).
- Eric Tirschwell, The NRA vs. The Constitution, Opinion, Wall Street Journal (May 20, 2018).
- Eric Tirschwell and Alla Lefkowitz, Prohibiting Guns at Public Demonstrations: Debunking First and Second Amendment Myths after Charlottesville, UCLA Law Review – Discourse (April 5, 2018).
- Eric Tirshwell and Alla Lefkowitz, McAuliffe’s prohibition on guns at RVA’s Lee monument is constitutional, Opinion, Richmond-Time Dispatch (Dec. 9, 2017).